[X-Unix] X11 issues

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun Jul 10 06:31:48 PDT 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 5:54 AM, Richard McKay wrote:

> Hope someone can help us to solve this one...
>
> While trying to install Eagle lite (PCB layout software) that is
> meant to
> use Apple's X11 we ran across some issues;
>
> -There was no X11 installed with the 15" PB (not sure if it was and
> then
> deleted or not at all)
> -He is running 10.4.1 but did not install X11 as part of the
> upgrade AFAIK.
> -to get around this I downloaded the latest X11 available for free
> (not with
> an OS) and we tried to install it. I get as far as choosing a disk
> and then
> it 'suggests' that it cannot be installed because a newer version
> exists...
> -For the life of me I cannot find it (not in Apps/Util/anywhere),
> not in
> receipts in Library, not anywhere spotlight can find, I even took
> off the
> installer for Dev tools he had to see if it saw something in there...
>
> Finally the question: How can I find whatever it is that seems to be
> suggesting it is X11? Normal GUI and my limited CLI knowledge have
> been
> exhausted.
>
> (I could look into pacifist if I have to to install the version
> with Tiger
> but thought I would ask here first about other options)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!

Richard,

There's a couple of things you can try.  First, I would try the
following:

1) Open a terminal window and type 'sudo su', and enter your
password.  This will put you into the root account.
2) Type the following, exactly: find / -name "X11.app"
     This command is going to do a find on the entire root tree, and
everything mounted beneath it.  It is going to look for a file called
X11.app.

If this doesn't work, do like you mentioned and utilize Pacifist.
I'm not sure where Mac OS X registers it's installed applications,
but you could do some research on this and unregister X11, which
would allow you to reinstall it.

HTH