[X-Unix] Apple dumping IBM, moving to Intel

Cloyce D. Spradling cloyce+xunix at headgear.org
Tue Jun 7 06:48:53 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 06:21:50AM +0100, David Ledger wrote:

: They have continuously improved a CPU family within the
: restrictions of having a slowly evolving target.

So true.  I wonder what we'd have now if they'd been able to put all that
brainpower to work making something that _didn't_ have to deal with the
stupid (for a post-1990 processor, I mean) x86 architecture.  Hmmm... maybe
Itanium.  But really, I think they could've done better.

: Not having such a
: break is not a good thing in itself, but being the tail of such a
: bloated dog needs a lot of expertise.

Don't you mean being the dog of such a bloated tail? :)

As for Intel-based Macs, I was hoping that they'd keep open firmware and
friends, since MacOS X doesn't really NEED the 1980's-style BIOS.  Based on
comments from an Apple exec stating that they wouldn't do anything to
prevent Windows from running on an Intel Mac, I'm afraid that we're going
to get the same crappy PC (from the inside) as everyone else.  Oh, well...
I can just grit my teeth when I feel the urge to poke around in the
firmware and enjoy the speed.  It's the OS that matters most anyway.

I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.
--
Cloyce