[X-Unix] Re: Apple dumping IBM, moving to Intel

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Tue Jun 7 12:18:50 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 08:51:42AM CDT, Michael Winter <winter at mac.com> wrote:
:
: On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Richard Nagle wrote:
:
: >The sad things, is that all Mac from past to currently,
: >what is on the assembly line, are now obsolete. (just like that....)
:
: I wouldn't say that. I'm thinking I may want to buy one of the last
: G5's before the transition. Why? Because the architecture has been
: well worked out. The first Intel based machines are going to be a Rev
: 1 in a major way. Apple has always impressed me with their Rev. 1
: work, but this is a big change and there will be bugs and
: incompatibilities.

And Apple is doing a lot to provide backwards and forwards
compatability.  Universal binaries for newer code to run on
older PPC systems and newer Intel systems.  Rosetta to run
older PPC code on newer Intel systems.  The only Macs that
will be obsoleted are those that cannot run Tiger or Leopard.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/