[X-Unix] zip from command-line in Tiger

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Fri Jun 24 08:52:33 PDT 2005

I thought that command-line tools in Tiger were suppose to be Mac/
resource-fork-savvy? Is the zip command not included in this, or am I
missing something? When I zip an applescript application at the
command-line and then unzip it, I end up with what the Finder thinks
is a "classic application", which I presume indicates that the
resource fork was not preserved.

There's an oddity. The man page for zip says that there is a -S
option which: "Includes finder invisible files, which are ignored
otherwise". But when I try to use this option it returns an error
saying that it is an invalid option. Have I somehow ended up with an
out of date zip command? "which zip" says it is in /usr/bin

Or to put this another way, what does the "Archive" command in the
Finder do? I want to do that from the command-line.

Steve