[X-Unix] zip from command-line in Tiger

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 09:14:22 PDT 2005

Stroller wrote:

>On Jun 25, 2005, at 1:08 am, ~flipper wrote:
>
>>Stroller wrote:
>>
>>>The zip command doesn't appear to have a man page on my system,
>>>despite being installed as part of the developer tools.
>>
>>'zip' is in /usr/bin over here, on Tiger 4.1
>>the man pages are about ten screenfuls. (how's that for vague?)
>
>Ah! Of course! This system is on Panther.
>
>Stroller.

I figured that was probably the case. Although it seems odd that a
command that's been in unix, and every other other platform, for
ages, wasn't in previous OS X. I find that odd.

I'm having 'issues' with Tigers implementation of bash. I used tcsh
in Jaguar, for a long time, and got used to it. So, i set it as my
'default' in the Tiger version of Terminal.

But if i look into netutil, or netinfo, i see me, as
<myshortusername>, listing /bin/bash as my default shell. terminal
opens in tcsh, though.

I don't have my .tcshrc file any more, and it's been so long since i
set it up, in Jag, that i've forgotten some basics. Time to hit the
books, harder this time.

No MOTD when i launch terminal, yet i have my aliases, that I set up
myself, like implicitcd, 4-character tab-completion for
directories/files, etc... same color scheme, even. How is it possible
to be unable to locate my rc file (I use Xfile, so everything is
'visible' in 'my' finder), and yet have alterations that were made in
it, on my old box, being active?

Something is not adding up. Can I still set the PATH with setenv, or
do i have to use EXPORT like bash? Or is that even a bash 'thing'? It
all seemed simpler a couple years ago. maybe it's senility.. I don't
know.

brian s