[X-Unix] How to find ip address of messenger messages?

Alexandre Gauthier supernaut at underwares.org
Sat Jun 25 12:32:11 PDT 2005

John Harrold wrote:

>Sometime in June Rad Craig assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>
>| Is there an app/utility/script/whatever to allow me to get the ip
>| address of someone when they msg me via a messenger?  I use Adium,
>| which is a multi-protocol/messenger client, so I can use it to talk
>| to people on YIM, AIM, MSN, ICQ, etc.
>
>In Adium goto Contacct-->Get Info,
>
>Under the 'Info' tab there should be lots of information including the
>ip address.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you use MSN as the protocol, basically
no direct connections are established, they just go through MSN's
servers. So a netstat would reveal the ever feared bay19 server.

When you send a file is another story, but since it is based on libgaim,
and I seriously doubt Adium has better integreation than Gaim itself,
file transfers on anything but the official client will result in a
connection through MSN's servers again.

And we're not even bringing in NAT issues here.

I have not checked at all, so I could be wrong, but I think the IP
Address field relates exclusively to the OSCAR protocol. There was a
field with the IP address in ICQ back in the old days. And nowadays, AIM
and ICQ are using the exact same protocol.

In any case, if you have legitimates uses for such an information, you
can send your contacts there: http://www.whatismyip.com/ and ask them to
tell you what's their IP.

--
Alexandre Gauthier
supernaut at underwares.org

underwares.org
Obscure IT knowledge Open Database

The human brain operates at only 10% of its capacity. The rest is overhead for
the operating system.