[X-Unix] Re: tcsh

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun Jun 26 08:24:00 PDT 2005

On Jun 26, 2005, at 10:11 AM, ~flipper wrote:

> Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

> Here's the first few lines from my .tcshrc file, which was created
> quite a while ago, when jaguar was released, and then imported to a
> newer Mac, running Tiger:
>

>> set implicitcd
>> mesg y
>> setenv PATH /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
>> setenv PAGER less
>> /bin/stty rows 60
>> /bin/stty columns 160
>> set histdup=erase
>> set rmstar
>> set prompt="%t %c % "
>> set ampm
>> set savehist=250 merge
>> alias topu "/usr/bin/top -ua"
>> alias bye "exit"
>>

> Isn't the mesg y supposed to be my 'greeting', from motd? It's been
> a while, as i said.
>
> I don't recall using the $path to set PATH at all...time to hit the
> books... yesterday was too hot here to even read.
>
> thanks,

mesg y is telling the shell that you want to accept chat sessions
with other logged in users.  For example, ssh into your mac from
another computer, or locally for that matter.  Typing talk <username>
<tty> will result in a chat request being sent to the user you're
trying to talk to, and, if accepted, a chat screen will appear.  mesg
n will result in immediate denial of chat requests.  See man talk for
more information.

HTH