[X-Unix] Re: tcsh

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 08:11:18 PDT 2005

Peter Dyballa wrote:

>Do 'locate init/tcsh' -- it will show you from where tcsh takes its
>settings ($HOME/Library/init/tcsh, /usr/share/init/tcsh in earlier
>Mac OS X versions too)! And there are too
>/etc/csh.{cshrc,login,logout}.
>
>In tcsh path is the correct variable. It's set via 'set path=($path
><new path> <next path>). For convenience of bash etc. a PATH
>variable is derived from path.
>
>--

Hi pete,
I tried the locate, and it didn't work here (10.4.1/tcsh). Just got
an immediate command prompt.

I do see the .tcshrc file in my ~/ though, so at least i know it's there.

Here's the first few lines from my .tcshrc file, which was created
quite a while ago, when jaguar was released, and then imported to a
newer Mac, running Tiger:

>set implicitcd
>mesg y
>setenv PATH /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
>setenv PAGER less
>/bin/stty rows 60
>/bin/stty columns 160
>set histdup=erase
>set rmstar
>set prompt="%t %c % "
>set ampm
>set savehist=250 merge
>alias topu "/usr/bin/top -ua"
>alias bye "exit"

Isn't the mesg y supposed to be my 'greeting', from motd? It's been a
while, as i said.

I don't recall using the $path to set PATH at all...time to hit the
books... yesterday was too hot here to even read.

thanks,
brian s