[X-Unix] zip from command-line in Tiger

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Sun Jun 26 19:37:29 PDT 2005

I'm looking at tar now and the only problem is its insistence upon
putting the directory structure in. I found the -C option, but short
of manually building the tar archive file by file, is there any way
to tell it to create an archive with all the listed files, without
placing them in a copy of the directory hierarchy? I.e. so that when
uncompressed you end up with a folder that contains all the files
directly in it, regardless of their original locations? None of the
options looks like it does this, but I want to be sure I'm not
missing something obvious. The only way I can think to do this, then,
would be a separate tar command for each file, using -c for the first
one and -r for subsequent ones, each time using -C to go to the
directory of the file before adding it. Is there a better way?

Steve

Stephen Jonke                                  sjj_public at mac.com