[X-Unix] local IMAP server?

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 18 09:38:40 PST 2005

On Mar 18, 2005, at 4:55 pm, Michael Gmail wrote:

> I've been avoiding Entourage because I don't want all my mail in a
> proprietary database. But Entourage speaks IMAP, doesn't it? Is there
> any reason I couldn't set up a local IMAP server on my own machine,
> then store all my mail there and access it from any IMAP mail client I
> feel like using?

No reason at all. It would probably work very well.

> How difficult is it?

On Linux I did it in my spare time over the course of a few days.
Installation is pretty-well documented for Linux but for Mac OS X you
can use Fink or Darwin ports. This article
<http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Workbench/eart.index.html> tells you
how to compile  from source, but I prefer Courier to UW. Courier uses
fairly standard Maildirs containing a single file per email - I _think_
UW normally uses mbox (?) format which, although standard, is a single
text file per folder.

> Am I overlooking anything?

What I found complicated was wrapping my head around the other mail
transport layers. You don't need to worry about SMTP / Postfix /
sendmail, because Entourage / Mail.app on your Mac can talk directly to
your ISP's mailserver. but when you've finished installing your IMAP
server you'll want some way of getting mail from the mailboxes you have
with your ISP to your IMAP inbox. I use fetchmail for this - it can be
told to call maildrop for message-filtering. You'll probably find
yourself reading a few manpages.

> Can existing mail be imported?

Yes. Add a new account for the server in Entourage & then drag & drop
from your local servers onto the server.

Stroller.