[X-Unix] local IMAP server?

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Mon Mar 21 10:35:50 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Kuestner, Bjoern wrote:

> Kevin, that's good to hear.
>
> Still, Apple Mail seems to have some issues. A standard Google search
> turns them up.

Oh, I'm sure - though you'll probably see "issues" with any server/client
combination.

> Interesting, this one suggests that maybe the Courier-Mail combo is the
> culprit.
>
> http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050310002903926
>
> You say you used Pine.

Well, I use pine (the IMAP server that comes with it, actually) because of
prior experience, and because it stores the files in a standard mbox
format.  I'm not sure if Courier offers that option now, but it didn't at
the time.  You were speaking about concern over mail loss - that's how I
feel about keeping mail in a database format.  I want it in nice standard
mbox text that I can back up and be confident of recovery.

> Nonetheless things seemed to be working for the most part. Just some weird
> behavior in Mail that left me feeling I was putting my data at risk. So I
> got out of the game.
>
> I'll probably try again with Tiger.

That's fine, just reporting my experience.  FWIW, with an IMAP server and
mbox storage, I actually feel MORE confident about my data integrity.
It's all in one place, not scattered around on different clients, and can
be backed up easily.

KeS

PS - you mention in a later post some of the issues you have with Mail.  I
had forgotten, but I do have a search problem with Mail/IMAP.  I can't
search on the entire message body.  I suspect this is because I don't
cache the messages locally (which is an option).  It's not a big deal for
me because I usually search by subject or author, but it is a limitation
of Mail/IMAP.