[X-Unix] Where can I get pre-compiled Darwin CL programs?

Jamie Kahn Genet jamiekg at wizardling.geek.nz
Sat Mar 26 06:59:29 PST 2005

Albert Lunde <atlunde at panix.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 02:59:43AM +1200, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
> > And where can I find out more about the ones I already have as part of
> > Panther? For instance - if I wanted to try out text editing, or Usenet,
> > or email with a CL program using Terminal - where do I begin?
>
> Look at the selection of Mac OSX books from O'Reilly and associates:
>
> http://mac.oreilly.com/
>
> "Mac OS X Panther in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition" is a fine general reference,
> and I'd endorse getting it, but not reading it first. It's the place
> to go to look up shell commands, vi and emacs editor keymappings, shell
> scripting syntax, etc.
>
> Look at the tables of contents of their other books to see what
> subjects and treatment suits your background for a tutorial.

Heh - I already own a good portion of O'Reilly's Mac books :-) Not that
one though, but I do have Learning Unix for Panther and Panther Missing
Manual amongst others.

Ideally I'm after the Darwin equivalent of MacOrchard.com (superb
listing and review site for Mac internet shareware if you're not
familiar). I've found Lynx and Setiathome CL version on my own, but
surely there must be far more out there.

Regards,
 Jamie Kahn Genet
--
I am Pentium of Borg, Division is Futile, You will be approximated!