[X-Unix] External drive volume doesn't automount?

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Fri May 6 14:24:42 PDT 2005

Hey there-

I've just migrated my server installation from a G5 with internal drives,
running 10.3, to a Mac Mini with an external FireWire drive, running 10.4.
There are two partitions on the external drive, a 40GB OS X partition
which is RAID mirrored with the internal Mini disk, and a 200GB data
partition.

The problem I'm having is that the data partition doesn't mount
automatically when the Mini is restarted.  If you log in to the Desktop,
it mounts - it's immediately visible on the Desktop and available in
Finder, shows up as /Volumes/Data, and works fine.  However, if you
restart, just leave the machine at the login prompt, and SSH into the
Mini, the volume isn't mounted.  This isn't just a matter of it
automounting on first access, as I have log entries for various daemons
that complain they can't access it.  The OS X mirror partition mounts at
startup as expected.

So, two things:  how do I fix it (perhaps some setting under "mounts" in
NetInfo Manager?), and why is it doing this?  I've never used an external
drive before, don't know if this is an external drive thing, a Tiger
thing, or just an odd thing.

TIA!

KeS