[X-Unix] booting iso's

Bert Knabe bert.knabe at lubbockonline.com
Fri May 6 19:44:04 PDT 2005

On May 5, 2005, at 7:12 PM, John Harrold wrote:

> Ok, I could be smoking crack, but I believe that I read somewhere that
> it is
> possible to boot from an iso without writing it to a cd. Is this
> possible?

Man, you're taking me waaaaay back to the pre-powerpc days. In those
days of yore the Mac actually kept power to RAM long enough for RAM
contents to survive the reboot cycle. You could install an OS on a RAM
disk and as long as you didn't actually shut down, restart and run from
the OS on the RAM disk. But that's not booting from an ISO.

Bert Knabe
Computer Technician
Lubbock Avalanche Journal
(806) 766-2158