[X-Unix] booting iso's

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Fri May 6 20:39:43 PDT 2005

Bert Knabe wrote:

>On May 5, 2005, at 7:12 PM, John Harrold wrote:
>
>>Ok, I could be smoking crack, but I believe that I read somewhere that it is
>>possible to boot from an iso without writing it to a cd. Is this possible?
>
>Man, you're taking me waaaaay back to the pre-powerpc days. In those
>days of yore the Mac actually kept power to RAM long enough for RAM
>contents to survive the reboot cycle. You could install an OS on a
>RAM disk and as long as you didn't actually shut down, restart and
>run from the OS on the RAM disk. But that's not booting from an ISO.

I saw a paper, recently, that showed a step-by-step method of opening
a CD or DVD installer, on a partition, making the invisible files
visible, lining them up in their proper hierarchy (which is already
'done' for the most part), and then choosing the 'lean' system to
reboot from, thereby allowing a reboot off what was an iso.

I'm searching high and low for the actual text, it was only about ten
or twelve steps. Simple, but not something one would do impatiently.

brian s