[X-Unix] Limiting thru put

Russell McGaha RussellMcGaha at direcway.com
Sat May 7 09:40:30 PDT 2005

Folks;
     I don't know if this is possible; but I thought I'd ask anyway.
Is there any way to limit the throughput/bandwidth usage of an
interface.  I'm limited to Satellite access and there are times [when
I'm trying to get a large file ... say a CD image for instance] when
I'd like to throttle my usage to say 25-30kps; this way I could start
the D/l when I go to bed and it would be finished when I got up.
Currently what happens, is after about an hour of full bandwidth
usage I'm throttled down to 1-4kps [by the provider - Direcway] till
the d/l finishes and I'm idle for a while.
     So back to the question; Is there a practical way to limit the
bandwidth usage to a set amount?

Russell