[X-Unix] Limiting thru put

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Sat May 7 11:06:29 PDT 2005

Sometime in May Russell McGaha assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Folks;
|     I don't know if this is possible; but I thought I'd ask anyway.
| Is there any way to limit the throughput/bandwidth usage of an
| interface.  I'm limited to Satellite access and there are times [when
| I'm trying to get a large file ... say a CD image for instance] when
| I'd like to throttle my usage to say 25-30kps; this way I could start
| the D/l when I go to bed and it would be finished when I got up.
| Currently what happens, is after about an hour of full bandwidth
| usage I'm throttled down to 1-4kps [by the provider - Direcway] till
| the d/l finishes and I'm idle for a while.
|     So back to the question; Is there a practical way to limit the
| bandwidth usage to a set amount?

I don't have any OS X experience but what you are looking for is something
that provides something called 'quality of service'. You can look around
for things that do 'bandwidth shaping' or 'bandwidth throttling'. A quick
google search turned up the following:

http://www.carrafix.com/

which looks like what you want.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB