[X-Unix] Limiting thru put

James Bucanek subscriber at gloaming.com
Sat May 7 14:42:20 PDT 2005

Russell McGaha wrote on Saturday, May 7, 2005:

>Folks;
>     I don't know if this is possible; but I thought I'd ask anyway.
>Is there any way to limit the throughput/bandwidth usage of an
>interface.  I'm limited to Satellite access and there are times [when
>I'm trying to get a large file ... say a CD image for instance] when
>I'd like to throttle my usage to say 25-30kps; this way I could start
>the D/l when I go to bed and it would be finished when I got up.
>Currently what happens, is after about an hour of full bandwidth
>usage I'm throttled down to 1-4kps [by the provider - Direcway] till
>the d/l finishes and I'm idle for a while.

First, I'd ask your provider what their limits actually are.  Many use 24 hour accounting periods on bandwidth.  Once you hit your data allotment for that 24 hour period, you're restricted until the next period.

If that's the case, it won't matter if you hit that limit in 30 minutes or 6 hours, you're still going to hit it.

--
James Bucanek <mailto:privatereply at gloaming.com>