[X-Unix] /dev basics

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Tue May 10 04:22:37 PDT 2005

Kuestner, Bjoern wrote:

>Jon Allen Boone wrote:
>

>>You should not be accessing /dev entries directly using cli tools
>>

>Same advice as John Baltutis provided. Thanks. Sounds like "you better
>listen!" to me. (c:

Sorry that I'm coming into this discussion a little late.  The advice
that accessing items within /dev is great for someone that doesn't
understand what's inside the directory, and how to properly manipulate
it, but accessing /dev from the CLI is a very common occurance in the
*nix world.  Formatting hard drives and accessing USB/serial ports are
just a couple examples of direct access, via CLI, to the /dev tree.
Sure, you can use the GUI tools apple provides to format hard drives,
but I've grown accustomed to the CLI at this point and can perform most
task much quicker than trying to poke around with a GUI.

HTH

Eric