[X-Unix] Beginner Questions: Setting up access to localhost for testing only.

Jakob Peterhänsel jakob at hjemme.dk
Thu May 12 14:18:15 PDT 2005

Hi,

1: Personally, I use /Library/WebServer/ as it gives shorter URL's
and I like that...  ;-)

2: Well, it's already very secure, so there should be no issues here,
unless you wanna Open something.
Basically, your not running a server - really - you're running a
local development environment. Make backups when needed, but it's not
like you're open for attacks for real, so it should be fine... If you
connect to a place with a public IP, you will be out in the open, but
you're still very safe unless you're PHP documents contain nasty code!

3 + 4 is already answered .. ;-)

Personally, I like to create enties that broadcast the development
sites via Bonjour (Rendezvous). Look in the buttom on /etc/httpd/
httpd.conf
In the <IfModule mod_bonjour.c> area, add enties like this:

     RegisterResource "MyServerShortcutName" /path/to/folder/

"/path/to/folder/" is from the WebServer root, alias the full path
would be: /Library/WebServer/Documents/path/to/folder/

Stop-Start websharing and it shows up..

Hope it helps

     Jakob Peterhänsel

"Tell me why, don't we try, not to break our hearts
   and make it so hard for our selfs"
P.S.B. 1987

Email:     jakob at hjemme.dk
AIM:         Marook