[X-Unix] Beginner Questions: Setting up access to localhost for testing only.

dm87 at proparallax.com dm87 at proparallax.com
Thu May 12 15:38:50 PDT 2005

Thanks Jon and Jakob!  I have it setup now and running.  I have run
it in WebServer and thought I'd give it a go in Sites to see how that
works.

I have been looking at file permissions.  Obviously I do not want the
world to be able to read my phpMyAdmin config file, it has passwords
in it.

Questions:

1)  I have used octet numbers for permissions before, and am having a
little trouble getting used to the way Panther "Get Info" handles
permissions.  I am still painfully slow on the command line, so I
tend to use the GUI when possible.  I want to set the files to 644,
and I think the following reflects 644:
owner: read/write
group: read only
other: read only
Is this correct?  And are these the appropriate permissions to use
for developing a php site on Panther?

2)  When I look at the permissions for the config.php file I find
that they are greyed out and I may not change them.  So, that means
they are left at 644.  That makes the config.php file readable to the
world, in theory.  However, when I try to bring up the config file
with the browser, I get a blank page.  This is good, I think.  But
what is going on?  Is the config.php file secure from viewing by the
world?  Are my passwords secure?

Thanks
Donna dm87