[X-Unix] Tiger X11.app and xforwarding in ssh

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Fri May 13 09:09:56 PDT 2005

Sometime in May Kent Behrends assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| 1. Start X11.app
|    - it should open up an xterm window (do not use terminal.app)
|
| 2. Verify DISPLAY is set:
| ozma:~ printenv DISPLAY
| :0.0
|
| 3. ssh to linux box:
| ozma:~ kent$ ssh -X www.host.com
| kent at my.host.com's password:
|
| 4. Verify DISPLAY is set:
| [kent at host kent]$ printenv DISPLAY
| localhost:10.0
|
| 5. Start an X application:
| [kent at fishbonemkt kent]$ xclock &
| [2] 1308

Ok I think I have narrowed down my problem. The xterm works fine and
forwards everything. I was having problems with  terminal.app and iterm
before. I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that x11 forwarding worked
with both terminal.app and iterm before. Using terminal.app the display
isn't set when the application starts (step 2 up there). If I set it to
':0.0' then it also forwards the x11 stuff correctly.  Thanks Kent, for
getting me on the right track.

I suppose I can just set the 'DISPLAY' environment variable in the bashrc
to fix x11 forwarding with the other OS X based terminalesk applications.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB