[X-Unix] Tiger X11.app and xforwarding in ssh

Kent Behrends kent.maillist at behrconsulting.com
Fri May 13 08:53:22 PDT 2005

On May 12, 2005, at 15:29, John Harrold wrote:

> I upgraded to Tiger recently and when I try to ssh to my linux box
> using
> either -Y or -X I cannot start any graphical applications. This worked
> before in 10.3.9. I can start x11 applications locally, so X11.app is
> running and working for the local machine. Can anyone offer any
> hints on
> how to get this working?

1. Start X11.app
    - it should open up an xterm window (do not use terminal.app)

2. Verify DISPLAY is set:
ozma:~ printenv DISPLAY
:0.0

3. ssh to linux box:
ozma:~ kent$ ssh -X www.host.com
kent at my.host.com's password:

4. Verify DISPLAY is set:
[kent at host kent]$ printenv DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

5. Start an X application:
[kent at fishbonemkt kent]$ xclock &
[2] 1308

At this point an analog clock pops up on my screen.

At what step does your configuration stop behaving like mine?

- I am running Tiger
- my.host.com is a system about 80 miles from me via the Internet.

Kent Behrends
BEHR Consulting International
http://www.bci.com