[X-Unix] Tiger X11.app and xforwarding in ssh

Stroller MacMonster at myrealbox.com
Fri May 13 09:06:55 PDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 11:16 am, John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in May Stroller assaulted the keyboard and produced:
> |
> | On May 12, 2005, at 11:29 pm, John Harrold wrote:
> |
> | >I upgraded to Tiger recently and when I try to ssh to my linux box
> using
> | >either -Y or -X I cannot start any graphical applications. This
> worked
> | >before in 10.3.9. I can start x11 applications locally, so X11.app
> is
> | >running and working for the local machine. Can anyone offer any
> hints on
> | >how to get this working?
> |
> | I think X11 > Prferences > Security > Allow connections from network
> | clients should do it.
>
> In my X11 Preferences I only have two options: Input and Output

Hi John,

I haven't installed Tiger yet on my desktop machine, and it was that
from which I replied to you. I looks like they've done away with the
security preferences tab in X11 on Tiger, which I have on my laptop;
`ssh -X mylinuxbox` works perfectly from that machine, so I don't know
what to advise you.

Perhaps you could post the command-line output of your ssh session?
For instance, when trying this on my Tiger laptop:

    370 ~ $ ssh -X compaq
    The authenticity of host 'compaq' can't be established.
    RSA key fingerprint is
    Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
    Warning: Permanently added 'compaq' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
    Password:
    Last login: Fri May 13 16:45:10 2005 from funf
    stroller at compaq stroller $ firefox
    /opt/firefox/mozilla-xremote-client: Error: Failed to find a running
server.
    No running windows found
    Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "localhost:11.0".
    Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display "localhost:11.0".

The Firefox opens perfectly in an X session on my Mac. I think your
output might be relevant to your problem?

Stroller.