[X-Unix] exe files

Eric F Crist ecrist at secure-computing.net
Sun May 15 10:50:34 PDT 2005

On May 15, 2005, at 12:25 PM, Richard Nagle wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Well for some reason,
> after doing this, still when I double click on this,
> all I get is which application would you like to open this with?
>
> What I want to do, is to have a double clickable script,
> that I can add to my dock, and just click once a day
> to run the spamreport script(file).
>
> Yes, this would have to be run threw the terminal window...
>
> Thanks -
> Richard
>

> John Harrold, jmh17 at pitt.edu, Sunday, May 15, 2005

Richard,

You need to name your "exe" with an ending of ".command".  This
extension is what Aqua looks for to know to run a file as a shell
script.  You also, of course, need +x permissions set.  You can easily
accomplish this with: # chmod a+x /path/to/file/filename.

Also note that shell scripting really requires the addition of the
environment line at the head.  This is usually:
#!/bin/sh

There are many command differences between the various shells out
there.  Adding this line will tell the system what shell to use when
executing your script.  Setting and reading environment variables'
differences is most notable between csh and bash.

That's my two cents' worth.