[X-Unix]from tcsh to bash

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Tue May 17 04:35:24 PDT 2005

sham khalil wrote:

>what's the reason for  mac os x change it default shell to bash?

I'll go for that one:

There's very little consistency in Apple's 'approach' to (or is it
'retreat from?) Unix, so why should they be consistent where default
shells are concerned?

They'll show the Dick & Jane User the /System/Library/Frameworks
(why, I'm not sure), but with several methods of file type
identification and the largest, most resource hungry file
server/locator "Finder" (that's a good one), they still mis-identify
so-called 'documents (whats the matter with calling a file a file?)
all the bloody time, and even the Spotlight can't 'find' your
/usr/bin directory.

I use a NeXTSTEP app to see and accurately id every file on all
drives, and it has a smaller 'footprint' than the "Finder's" icon.
It's ten times faster, immeasurably more accurate, and Apple had an
even better thing going when they first acquired NeXT, but ditched it
in favor of their schizo now-we're Unix, now-we're-good-old-MacOS.

As for shells... it's simple, a shell you're familiar with will allow
you to finish your work and spend time with your kids (or whatever)
while someone who is 'shifting' to whatever's newer or 'better' is
still configuring theirs. Pick a shell, any shell, learn it, stick
with it, and ignore the 'noise'.

brian s