[x-unix]from tcsh to bash

john harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue May 17 06:02:30 PDT 2005

sometime in may ~flipper assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| sham khalil wrote:
|
| >what's the reason for  mac os x change it default shell to bash?

well according to this post:

http://listserver.themacintoshguy.com/pipermail/x-unix/2005-april/001752.html

  ... the reason that tcsh was dropped in favor of bash is that the prime
  engineering advocate for tcsh left Apple ... and all of the "new hires"
  had Linux backgrounds, not Unix.

| As for shells... it's simple, a shell you're familiar with will allow
| you to finish your work and spend time with your kids (or whatever)
| while someone who is 'shifting' to whatever's newer or 'better' is
| still configuring theirs. Pick a shell, any shell, learn it, stick
| with it, and ignore the 'noise'.

This argument could easily be extended to operating systems. Why not just
stick with Windows? You can write your reports in word and read your email
--- all that Mac and Linux stuff is just noise anyway :).

Well there is one end of the spectrum:
  I started out using sh and I don't need anything else.

There is the other end of the spectrum:
  I have my computer randomly select a shell everytime I login so I can try
  them all.

Then there is the pragmatic view which for me applies to most anything:
  Stick to what you are familiar with. If you hear about something new from
  what you would consider reliable sources and have some time, give it a
  try.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB