[X-Unix]from tcsh to bash

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:28:53 PDT 2005

Dan Frakes wrote:

>if Spotlight were to include /usr/bin by default, a user who
>>>searches for "copyright" would end up with literally hundreds of unwanted
>  >>matches, making the results list pretty unmanageable.

You mean like when I used Spotlight to try and find my daughter's new
address in "White Plains, NY" ?

And got 63,000 results, a grand total of two of which had anything to
do with the town of White Plains? Heheh.

it was in there, actually, i confirmed it later, on a re-search,
after having remembered a receipt I kept from 'The Gap"... but, yeah,
I smelled a rat right off the bat.

An implicit boolean AND when parentheses are used, or a command key
to initiate search-for-phrase, maybe command-Shift for exact words,
etc.

Meanwhile, thanks for the tips on adding folders to the search functions.

I run an SGML suite at my work all day, on an ancient Compaq, and use
a simple DOS xml-parser (probably java) to do a final 'take' on huge,
multi-leveled sgml IETMs, and i'm ticked that i'm unable to cobble
together the same basic system at home. (I have the GUI apps, of
course, but want the straight command lines for the big
multi-document stuff.)

Having a concise inventory of what's here already, will have two
possible benefits: one, I'll know what I need to track down, and two,
i might realize it's already sitting here, right in front of me.

On a sidenote, I almost tried the AND trick with Spotlight, but after
the white plains fiasco, decided I didn't want to have "Murder of Mac
by Conjunction" on my conscience. :)

brian s