[X-Unix] /bin strange directory ??

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon May 23 18:35:29 PDT 2005

Sometime in May David Gilden assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Hello,
|
| what is '['
|
| I see when I do a listing -- see below.....
|
| (inside Panther....)
|
| My-Computer:/bin localUser$ ls
| [               date            expr            mv              rmdir           test
| bash            dd              hostname        pax             sh              zsh
| cat             df              kill            ps              sleep           zsh-4.1.1
| chmod           domainname      ln              pwd             stty
| cp              echo            ls              rcp             sync
| csh             ed              mkdir           rm              tcsh
| ----
|
| Is this '[' garbage that I can RM?

Normally I'd say yes, assuming a user accidentally created it. However, it
seems to be present on my system also. This seems pretty odd to me.

| also I see two listing for zsh, what is the difference.

It's common to have multiple versions of a shell installed for
compatibility reasons --- sometimes scripts are broken by newer versions.
The main shell binary (zsh in this case) is normally linked (hard or soft)
to the most current version of the shell. In this case zsh is probably a
hard link to zsh-4.1.1 so both files point to the same set of bits on the
hard drive..

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB