[X-Unix] pronouncing "sudo"

Dan Frakes lists at frakes.org
Tue May 24 01:28:15 PDT 2005

Gretchen Hayman <gretchen at sedl.org> wrote:
>> I pronounce "sudo" with two syllables:
>>
>> 1 sue (like the english word for bringing legal action againts
>> someone)
>> 2 do (like the english word)
>
> Ditto.
>
> However, I did start out pronouncing it like the word pseudo (i.e.
> with a long o sound). I was then "educated", so now I pronounce it
> properly. ;)

Funny, although it makes logical sense to say "soodoo," I've never heard
anyone pronounce it that way; every Unix guru I know says "pseudo." (In
fact, that's the pun behind the name of the utility Pseudo.)

Yet if you Google "pronounce sudo," you get a good number of hits claiming
it's "soodoo," including this one on Apple's OpenSource site:

<http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/WWDC2004/sudo-12/sudo/TROUBLES
HOOTING>

I honestly never thought twice about it until I read this thread ;-)