[X-Unix] XWindows

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue May 24 05:53:04 PDT 2005

Sometime in May AKappyCT assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| My new PowerBook came with Tiger installed - generally a joy to behold.
| Until I got to XWindows.
| Got X11 loaded and proceeded to initiate a familiar XWindows session
| with my server at the office.
|
| The result:
|
| X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
|   Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
|   Atom id in failed request:  0xba
|   Serial number of failed request:  221
|   Current serial number in output stream:  224

I guess the first question is how are you poiting the remote client to your
x server? I use the x11 forwarding on ssh (-X), though sometimes I need to
use -Y. Run the following on your powerbook and on the remote client:

printenv DISPLAY

This is what I get:

Powerbook:            :0.0
Debian (client):      localhost:10.0

If you're using ssh, use the -v switch to get the verbose output.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key B23241CB