[X-Unix] Re: X-Unix Digest, Vol 9, Issue 24

Ethan Rips beyond.theframe at verizon.net
Mon May 30 08:46:24 PDT 2005

On May 30, 2005, at 3:25 AM, Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net>
wrote:

> You can try doing a safe boot by holding down the SHIFT key as soon as
> you turn on your G4.  If that doesn't work, consider re-installing
> Panther.

Eugene--

Thank you very much for your reply.

Let me ask one more question before wiping my hard drive...

Before receiving the above reply, I tried to copy the files from my old
G3 to an external hard drive using ditto, as per Mike Bombich's
instructions (http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html}. When trying
to copy my /Users directory, I got the following prompt:

"Warning: No memory manager."

There was then a kernel panic.

I attempted to do a safe boot after that, as you instructed above (this
was on a G3, not the G4), but no dice. The system hung on "starting
login [something-or-other]", as it had before.

I then went back in via single-user mode.

I tried chmod -vLR 777 * on my /Users/[me]/Documents directory, but got
a "Read-Only file system" prompt for every entry.

Is there any way to get around the "Read-Only file system" problem? I
can't ditto files to my external hard drive, apparently, without
changing the directories & files from Read-only, but I don't know how
to do that.

Thanks.

Ethan