[X-Unix] Re: X-Unix Digest, Vol 9, Issue 24

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon May 30 12:14:42 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:46:24AM CDT, Ethan Rips <beyond.theframe at verizon.net> wrote:
:
: On May 30, 2005, at 3:25 AM, Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net>
: wrote:
:
: >You can try doing a safe boot by holding down the SHIFT key as soon as
: >you turn on your G4.  If that doesn't work, consider re-installing
: >Panther.
:
: Before receiving the above reply, I tried to copy the files from my old
: G3 to an external hard drive using ditto, as per Mike Bombich's
: instructions (http://www.bombich.com/mactips/image.html}. When trying
: to copy my /Users directory, I got the following prompt:
:
: "Warning: No memory manager."
:
: There was then a kernel panic.

I've never heard of that error message before on anything OS X.
Which method did you use to copy the files?  psync?  ditto?

: I attempted to do a safe boot after that, as you instructed above (this
: was on a G3, not the G4), but no dice. The system hung on "starting
: login [something-or-other]", as it had before.
:
: I then went back in via single-user mode.
:
: I tried chmod -vLR 777 * on my /Users/[me]/Documents directory, but got
: a "Read-Only file system" prompt for every entry.
:
: Is there any way to get around the "Read-Only file system" problem? I
: can't ditto files to my external hard drive, apparently, without
: changing the directories & files from Read-only, but I don't know how
: to do that.

When you boot into single-user mode, the hard drive itself is
not "ready" to be used by OS X.  At this point, it is mounted
as a read-only volume.  You need to run the following commands:

	/sbin/fsck -y
	/sbin/mount -uw
	/sbin/SystemStarter

--