[X-Unix] mount_hfs situation needing help here

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 11:34:18 PDT 2005

>I have trouble understanding how Disk Warrior can straighten out the volume / partition structure without recovering the volume names. One thing I have seen is a Linux installation that takes over a whole disk rather than just a requested partition on that disk. It makes a real mess. "Partition map" is a buzzword worth searching on.

2 drives were affected: internal to tghe powerbook, external (thru f-wire 800)

DW sorted out the internal, no problem...external won't mount, if I can force it to mount, DW will sort it out.

Linux installers I've seen (only Debian and Yellow Dog, and a red hat two years ago) won't over-write anything unless user selects "auto" in the partitioning module, OR selects "partition this drive", in manual.

I selected a particular chunk of free space that exactly corresponded to  one of my pre-existing partitions. No problemo.

There's a 99% perfect  Yellow Dog Linux setup, it isn't even remotely related to the problem with the trashed  catalog files on the other external drive.

brian stegner