[X-Unix] How to determine which network component is failing

Wing Wong wingedpower at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 10:29:47 PDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Wing Wong <wingedpower at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/06, Charles Howse <chowse at charter.net> wrote:
> > Hardware setup:
> > ISP: Charter Communications, 2 megabit service
> > Cable Modem: Motorola SB4200 Surfboard
> > Router: Linksys Etherfast(r) Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3 Firmware
> > Version: 1.04.17
> > Computers: 2 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE. 1 Mac OS X 10.4.7, 100 baseT
> > ethernet connections on all
> >
> > This morning, I was offline, and just by accident decided to try and
> > release and renew the ip address using the web interface of the router.
> > BINGO!  Online again!
> >
> > Is this an indication that the router is not noticing that the lease
> > has expired on my dhcp assigned ip address from the modem?  Or is it
> > an indication that the modem is not renewing it's ip address?  Or is
> > it something else?
> >
> > Can I tell the router to release / renew the ip address from a shell
> > script?

Side note:

If your Linksys router has been updated with an "opened" firmware and
you have shell access to the box. You can issue the dhcp release/renew
via an automated SSH session. Just install your DSA public key entry
onto the router and script the reboot from your workstation. If you
want, you can also script the reboot from within the router itself.

Good luck!

--
Wing Wong
wingedpower at gmail.com