[X-Unix] Spotlight indexing Maildir from alternative MUA

John Harrold john.m.harrold at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 17:23:35 PDT 2006

Howdy,

I use mutt as my MUA and I recently converted all of my mail from mbox to
maildir format. I'd like to be able to index my mail in spotlight so it
would be searchable. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a convenient
way to do this. I looked around on the web and the nearest thing I've come
up with is the following:

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.mail.mh-e.user/page=9

Basically I tell the "system", sorry I don't really know the correct
terminology her, that the files are text files by doing the following:

  find /path/to/mh/top-level/directory/ -name "[0-9]*" -type f \
     -exec /Developer/Tools/SetFile -t TEXT {} \;

Then I tell spotlight to index them:

  mdimport /path/to/mh/top-level/directory/

I was wondering if anyone had anything to add to this? I've never messed
with spotlight at this level, so I thought it would be good to ask before I
started mucking around with it.

Thanks.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 john.m.harrold _at_ gmail  |  X  against HTML mail