[X-Unix] BBEdit Unicode UTF-8 Encoding Prefix Makes Scripts Fail

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Fri Jun 30 08:42:34 PDT 2006

I write just enough perl and shell scripts to be dangerous.  Sometimes they
just "don't work", and I finally discovered why.

If you save a perl script (or any text file) using BBEdit with Unicode UTF-8
encoding, it will add three bytes at the beginning
(0xefbbff), before your shebang.  I guess this identifies the encoding.
BBEdit does not show these characters.

When you try and run such a script, the system barfs on it: "Can't execute
binary file", "Server error" if it's remote, etc.

I wonder if I'm the only one which has ever been bit by this...Maybe this is
one of the reasons why all you smart guys use vi?