[X-Unix] New Mini / Old Mini -- As a server

Dave Higgins dhiggins at mchsi.com
Wed Mar 1 13:39:32 PST 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 2:31 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> In the unlikely case you were planning to run OS X Server, AFAIK it
> isn't available for Intel yet.

Nah. Just OS X. I've run some tests on my tired old eMac 800 to see
that I could get things running and I think I can cover our needs.

I'm just kick starting PostFix with PostFix Enabler, entering a few
domains and users for mail. Apache is pretty straight forward,
although I have installed Apache 2.2 here and have had some fun
messing with input and output filters. FTP-Config suits the needs for
FTP locally, but I'll probably search out other FTP options for
remote admin.

About the only thing I'd like to figure out how to do, if it can be
done, is to add users for mail without having to add them as GUI
users. The system in place now is a old BSD/OS box that really needs
replacing, but in that C/L only system adding users is pretty
straight forward.

But, I haven't investigated that very deeply yet. As the number of
web sites grows and grows, finding just what you need in Google
searches without wading through a million hits is becoming a science
of its own. Even still, it's not like I'll be managing users on a day
by day basis. Once it's initially set up it won't need many changes
to users. And it'll be a couple / few weeks before all this happens,
so I have time to hunt it out.

> Unless you need the Gb for local LAN transfers, I'd go with the
> cheaper PPC and spend the money on faster external drives.

That sounds like the best way to go, along with mentioned Hatachi dive.

Dave.