[X-Unix] New Mini / Old Mini -- As a server

Kevin Stevens groups at pursued-with.net
Wed Mar 1 12:31:33 PST 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Dave Higgins wrote:

> Any thoughts on what the differences might be with the Core Solo or Duo (vs.
> PPC) when it comes to underlying UNIX operations, like Apache, PostFix, FTP,
> and shell or perl scripts? And would there even be much advantage to using
> the Duo over the Solo for UNIX chores?

It's always nice to have a second processor around to distribute load on a
server.  In my experience it results in more even response under load -
but that's at traffic levels quite a bit beyond your described use.
Likewise, the Gb interface would make quite a difference under the same
conditions.

> Or would we do just as well to simply grab one of the PPC Minis that will
> soon be showing up on E-Bay and save a couple / few hundred?

All I can tell you is that I replaced a G5 PowerMac with a Mini (with
external RAIDed FireWire drives) for my similar server needs, with no
discernable performance hit except in LAN (Gb connected) backup speeds.

In the unlikely case you were planning to run OS X Server, AFAIK it isn't
available for Intel yet.

Unless you need the Gb for local LAN transfers, I'd go with the cheaper
PPC and spend the money on faster external drives.

KeS