[X-Unix] Terminal Syntax for Writing to /private/etc/authorization

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Thu Oct 12 12:39:50 PDT 2006

This really breaks down into two questions:

1) Even trying to read the file (which is in XML plist format) doesn't seem to work with the following syntax:

	sudo defaults read /private/etc/authorization

I get a "Domain /private/etc/authorization does not exist" error.

2) Assuming I could get around that, how does the defaults command deal with nested entries in a plist file? For instance, I'm looking for a quick and convenient way (other than opening authorization in the Property List Editor via Pseudo) to toggle the entry "rights > system.privilege.admin  > group" from admin to wheel, or vice versa.

Can someone straighten me out here? Thanks in advance.

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING