[X-Unix] trigger software suspend (aka hibernation mode) from Terminal?

Rick Gordon rick at rickgordon.com
Mon Jul 9 10:15:44 PDT 2007

I haven't tried this, but see this MacWorld article delineating the terminal commands for the various sleep modes, plus releasing the RAM after setting the mode.

<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2006/10/sleepmode/index.php?pf=1>

It would seem as though you could set the commands into a shellscript and set it as a cron job.

Rick Gordon

------------------

On 7/9/07 at 7:57 AM -0400, TjL wrote in a message entitled
"[X-Unix] trigger software suspend (aka hibernation mode) fr":

>Never has one idea had so many names:
>
>software suspend
>safe sleep
>hibernation (Windows)
>
>It's the state that your Mac is in when:
>
>	1) All the memory has been written to disk
>
>	2) No battery is being used at all
>
>I found an app:
>
>Deep Sleep
>http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20120
>
>which supposedly does this, but what I want to be able to do is run it via shell script (so that after my nightly backups the computer will go into this mode).
>
>Anyone know if this is possible?

RICK GORDON
EMERALD VALLEY GRAPHICS AND CONSULTING