[X-Unix] Postfix and proxies

John Harrold john.m.harrold at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 16:04:46 PDT 2007

Howdy

I've got a bit of a problem. I'm a Peace Corps volunteer working at the
National Univeristy of Samoa (NUS). I get my internet connection through
NUS and I use postfix to send my email through gmail's secure POP server.
My delima is that my ISP (which is NUS) has been flagged as a spam source
(the entire university goes through a single ip address on the internet).
Because my email is routed through a known spam source, it's getting
rejected by some hosts.

I've had lots of crazy issues with the network here (such web pages being
banned because of particular phrases). One solution I've used in the past
is to create a socks 5 proxy over ssh using the '-D' option. Many networked
applications have application level proxy settings and for many that don't
the system wide proxy settings seem to work.

However, the system wide settings don't appear to work for postfix. I was
wondering if anyone here could help me either:

  o configure postfix to route all traffic through a socks 5 proxy

  o create some sort of jailed environment that can achieve the same effect

Thanks.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 john.m.harrold _at_ gmail  |  X  against HTML mail