[X-Unix] Parallels Dammit! Anyone here running Linux under it?

Wing Wong wingedpower at gmail.com
Fri May 18 13:43:04 PDT 2007

Hi MD,

The problem, I think, has something to do with how certain CPU(s) and
OS(s) deal with idle/sleep states, internal to the OS. Time drift is
an issue which plagues virtual machines.

I've heard of some suggesting the following in your grub configuration
(/boot/grub/menu.lst):

title SOME INSTANCE OF LINUX UNDER GRUB
     root (hd0,0)
     kernel /vmlinuz-some-revision ro root=/dev/some-root-device quiet
acpi=off noapic nolapic

Note the "acpi=off noapic nolapic" options. Those disable certain
sleep/power management features as well as timing features for the
Linux OS. Give those a try and see if it doesn't help with the time
issues.

Good Luck!

Wing.