[X-Unix] rsync help

Richard Hartman seasoft at west.net
Thu Jan 24 08:25:25 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 8:06 AM, Craig Hoffman wrote:

> Hi There,
> I'm trying to backup my music directory to a network drive.  The
> music directory is quite large (176.81GB).   My plan is write a
> AppleScript and schedule it in iCal.  I've done this before and it
> works well.  I've been experimenting with rsync and I can't seem to
> get it work correctly.  It brings over the directories but none of
> the files.  I also receive this error message: failed: Operation not
> supported (45)
>
> Sample:
> rsync -xrlptgoEv --ignore-existing /Volumes/Twilight/Music/ /Volumes/
> teakettle/Music
>
> Any help would be great.  I'm open to other ideas too.

Here is what I use:

$ rsync -avz /source_directory/  /destination_directory/

To see only what would be copied without actually doing the copy, use
the -n flag thusly:

$ rsync -navz /source_directory/  /destination_directory/

The -a flag is the one that captures most of what you need, I think;
check the man page.

Good luck,

Richard