[X-Unix] Calling Applescript alarm from script

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 26 01:49:18 PST 2008

On 25 Jan 2008, at 23:05, Eric F Crist wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Stroller wrote:
>> On 25 Jan 2008, at 15:18, TjL wrote:
>>>
>>> However, what I would really like to do is have it pop up some
>>> kind of
>>> alert window on my Mac with some kind of sound which keeps repeating
>>> until I acknowledge the window.
>>
>> Set a rule in Mail.app, so that if "From:" equals "My Notify
>> Script <script at localhost>" then play sound "klaxxon".
>
> That only works if Mail.app happens to be running.  If Mail.app
> isn't running, messages aren't being received, and filters aren't
> being processed.

Yeah, well, the script only runs if the computer is switched on, and
other notifications are only useful if the computer has monitor &/or
speakers connected to it, &/or someone is logged into the machine.

I assumed that the script was written in Bash, piping curl to grep to
sendmail - it may be blinkered of me, but I find this the most
"obvious" way to solve that part of the problem already described by
TjL - and I would find it clumsy to mix shell script & AppleScript.
Here any script that is run by a schedule is run on the headless
server in the cupboard under the stairs - I'm sure that'll be
switched on at any time, which I can't say of any given desktop machine.

Besides, if I'm at a computer then my mail is open. For me - your
milage may vary - it's just the most logical way to be notified of
stuff that's going on.

Finally - I considered writing this in my original response - no
language which we discuss here is the best one for the task. The
easiest programming syntax is "hey, kid! make sure you check this
webpage every day - it tells you if you get a day off school."

Stroller.