[X-Unix] Calling Applescript alarm from script

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:29:08 PST 2008

On 1/26/08, Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> On 25 Jan 2008, at 23:05, Eric F Crist wrote:
> > On Jan 25, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Stroller wrote:
> >> On 25 Jan 2008, at 15:18, TjL wrote:
> >>>
> > That only works if Mail.app happens to be running.  If Mail.app
> > isn't running, messages aren't being received, and filters aren't
> > being processed.
>
> Yeah, well, the script only runs if the computer is switched on, and
> other notifications are only useful if the computer has monitor &/or
> speakers connected to it, &/or someone is logged into the machine.

The computer is on 24/7, with the monitor set to turn off after 5
minutes of inactivity.

> I assumed that the script was written in Bash, piping curl to grep to
> sendmail - it may be blinkered of me, but I find this the most
> "obvious" way to solve that part of the problem already described by
> TjL - and I would find it clumsy to mix shell script & AppleScript.
> Here any script that is run by a schedule is run on the headless
> server in the cupboard under the stairs - I'm sure that'll be
> switched on at any time, which I can't say of any given desktop machine.

That's the way the script is written (well, lynx instead of curl).
Clumsy? Sure, but better than showing up at the school on a cold
morning to find out they've announced a delay due to "cold" (I'm from
Massachusetts... they don't cancel school for "cold" and maybe not
even for snow).

> Finally - I considered writing this in my original response - no
> language which we discuss here is the best one for the task. The
> easiest programming syntax is "hey, kid! make sure you check this
> webpage every day - it tells you if you get a day off school."

The kid is 5, and if he wakes up to check a webpage he can't read,
he's going to be up for the day.  If the computer can wake me up in
time for me to turn off his alarm, I can get back to sleep no problem.

Oh, and Eric Crist suggested signing up with the schools.  Trust me,
if they had such a program, I'd be happy to sign up.  They city school
system doesn't even list closings on their website.  Honestly the best
solution might be to call the city school administration and offer to
maintain the school closing page and have them call me when it needs
to be updated.

TjL