[X-Unix] Mysterious Volume in Terminal

Richard Hartman seasoft at west.net
Sun Mar 9 13:25:54 PDT 2008

This is giving me fits.

When booted from the (unpartitioned) internal drive of my Intel iMac
(OS 10.5.2), *with all firewire and usb drives unplugged*, I see the
following in terminal:

$ ls -la /Vol*
total 24
drwxrwxrwt@  5 root  admin   170 Mar  9 12:48 .
drwxrwxr-t@ 60 root  admin  2108 Mar  4 12:41 ..
-rw-rw-rw-@  1 rjh   admin  6148 May 17  2007 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  admin   102 Nov  6 19:08 Back2
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin     1 Mar  9 12:48 iMac20 -> /

The "Back2" volume does not show in the Finder or on the desktop, does
not show as a partition of my internal drive (in Drive Utility), or
anywhere else other than the above listing.

I HAD a "Back2" volume a long while back on a firewire drive, but it
no longer exists on any drive (it was on a drive later reformatted
and, in any case, not even plugged into the mac at the moment).

If I cd into the "Back2" volume and view its contents, it appears to
comprise the long-since lost Back2 firewire volume. I can drill down
and open files that no longer even exist in my iMac20 directory
structure, so the indicated "Back2" data is actually present.

I have done a repair from Disk Utility, which gave a clean bill of
health. The console & system logs show no mention of Back2, and
DiskWarrior 4.0 sees nothing either.

My best guess: I inadvertently made a superduper clone of Back2 onto
my internal hard drive at some point (evidently, from the time stamps
on the terminal directories, last November). Could that be the cause
of what I am seeing?

Here is some of the Back2 directory info; the time stamps seem to
point to November 2007, which is about when Back2 disappeared from the
scene.
========================
$ ls -la /Volumes/Back2/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  admin  102 Nov  6 19:08 .
drwxrwxrwt@ 5 root  admin  170 Mar  9 12:48 ..
drwxr-xr-x  7 root  admin  238 Nov  6 19:26 Users
$ ls -la /Volumes/Back2/Users
total 16
drwxr-xr-x   7 root  admin   238 Nov  6 19:26 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  admin   102 Nov  6 19:08 ..
-rw-rw-r--@  1 rjh   admin  6148 Oct 15 12:51 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel     0 Dec 25  2005 .localized
drwxr-xr-x  14 root  admin   476 Nov  6 19:25 Shared
drwxr-xr-x  44 root  admin  1496 Nov  6 19:25 rjh
drwxr-xr-x  17 root  admin   578 Nov  6 19:26 sss

How do I delete this rogue volume and make it disappear from my
Volumes listing? And, presumably, recover a bit of disk space in the
process.

Grateful for any guidance here,

Richard