[X-Unix] Altering system parameters (e.g. IP addresses) on Mac OS X server

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 14:12:06 PDT 2008

I'm coming in late to the party, not with a solution but with an idea
that might help.

There are various places around which will assign a hostname to a
dynamic IP'd machine.  I use DynDNS, which is free.

There are daemons for various OSes that run on boot and update the
hostname with the new IP address whenever it changes.

Most of these can also be made to email that information to you as well.

I'm thinking that might help for two reasons:

1) if you can access it via hostname even if it changes, not knowing
the IP is no longer the single point of failure.

2) If you can get the IP address emailed to you whenever it changes,
then you've got that as additional information (I actually just needed
to know my IP address a few months ago and was able to find it by
going back and looking through the folder where those notices get
automatically filed).

Unfortunately I've only used daemons like this for FreeBSD and
Windows, so I don't have one to suggest, but I'm sure a little
Googling would lead you to one.

FWIW

TjL