[X-Unix] Altering system parameters (e.g. IP addresses) on Mac OS X server

Robar Philip philip.robar at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 16:59:06 PDT 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 12:34 PM, Ken Rossman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have a need to change some IP address range info on a Mac server
> platform
> (running OS X server), but don't have a physical console, and can't
> remote
> desktop into it.  I can only (at present) open a command line (ssh)
> shell to it.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man8/changeip.8.html

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=ServerAdmin/10.5/en/c7sa13.html
:

Server Admin 10.5 Help

Changing the IP Address of a Server

You can change the IP address of a server using the Network pane of
System Preferences or the networksetup tool.

When a network address change is detected, no matter how the change
happened, changeip is invoked. The tool changeip goes through all
configuration files and places where the Server’s IP address is
stored, and changes the address to conform to the new address. The
server’s IP address can be changed without changeip being invoked from
the command-line.