[X-Unix] Altering system parameters (e.g. IP addresses) on Mac OS X server

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Sun Mar 9 16:54:57 PDT 2008

On 10/03/2008, at 7:50 AM, Ken wrote:
> I have a need to change some IP address range info on a Mac server
> platform
> (running OS X server), but don't have a physical console, and can't
> remote
> desktop into it.  I can only (at present) open a command line (ssh)
> shell to it.

Firstly, you would do better to post a question like this on the MacOS
Server list.

Secondly as I am sure you would be aware changing the IP address on
something like MacOS X Server is non-trivial.  Changing the IP
requires certificates to be recreated and settings changed in a large
number of places.

Apple have provided a script for this specific purpose which you
should use.  I can attest that it works well.

Also look at a server documentation http://www.apple.com/server/documentation
.  There is a whole manual on the CLI which of course accessible
through ssh.  You can do anything with a command which you can do in
the GUI.  There are also a heap of things you can do with a command
that you cannot do in the GUI - like change the IP address.  Of course
some things are easier to do in the GUI.

Bill Northcott